An Anglican Church in Florence
St. James Church Office
The Parish office is open Monday to Friday 9:00am to 1:00pm.
Sunday services take place every week at 11:00am.
Pilgrim passports for The Way of St. Francis (credenziali) are available on a “self-serve” basis on Sundays before or after the 11:00am mass as well as during office hours.
11am Holy Eucharist with sermon and music
We observe the following safety measures:
- Hand sanitizer is encouraged, particularly before Communion
Every Sunday we need volunteers to fill the various roles available:
Readers, ushers, acolytes, Lay Eucharistic Ministers, and more! Please use Sign Up Genius to support the ministry that calls to you.
Via B. Rucellai, 9
50123 Florence, Italy
We live-stream all Sunday worship services on our YouTube channel. Find us on Sundays at 11:00 AM by CLICKING HERE
The city of Florence was closed to non-Roman Catholic churches until the Grand Duke of Tuscany was exiled in 1849. The Tuscan parliament passed legislation permitting churches of other denominations at that time. Around 1850, a few Americans began organizing a church. Our parish was officially recognized in 1867.
The beautiful building we now occupy was designed as the last work of an English architect who was prominent in the Gothic Revival movement of the late 19th century. The land was purchased in 1907 for $12,822. Church construction, the organ, and other furnishings totaled $66,556. More than half of the total funds were contributed by Edward Francis Searles. A crucial $10,000 came from J. Pierpont Morgan, who was approached by church representatives following his generosity to the Episcopal Church in Rome, in facilitating the purchase of land for St. Paul’s Within the Walls. Upon examination of the architect’s drawings, J.P. Morgan declared the building plans “inadequate” and requested more elaborate plans. When these were produced, so was his gift.
The church closed during World War II, but escaped heavy damage. It reopened in 1947, during a time when the American community in Florence included Bernard Berenson, Sinclair Lewis, and the M.I.T. inventor Philip Baldwin.
The church’s most dramatic moment came on November 3 and 4, 1966, when the Arno River flooded and rose to a height of twelve feet in and around many of Florence’s most important museums and monuments, doing devastating damage. Water and fuel oil flooded the parish hall under the church, reaching the windowsills of the rectory. St. James parishioners wrote to their friends in America for help. Within the next 3 months, the parish raised $425,000 to ease the suffering of the city. The vestry, in cooperation with the British government, created a relief agency to investigate and document each request, providing a maximum weekly grant of $35 per family.
Although in the past our purpose focused on providing a place of worship and community for English-speaking people, today we are a proudly multilingual and multicultural congregation.
GET IN TOUCH
We would love to hear from you!
"We rejoice in a diverse and international parish family, and serve Italian and English speakers from many denominations, backgrounds and cultures."
Rev. Richard Easterling, Priest-in-Charge
Edgardo Sasuman, Sacristan
Patricia Estrada, Secretary